Saturday, August 1, 2009

What Your Voice Says About You

When two people meet in person after having talked exclusively on the phone, it's not uncommon for one of them to say, "Now I can put a face with the name." I think it's interesting that we start to form a mental picture of what someone looks like based only on a voice. Sometimes the picture is accurate, and sometimes it's not.

One person I talked to sounded older on the phone than he really was. With another person, it was the opposite. In both instances, I was a little surprised when I met the person.

With so many employers doing phone interviews now, it's good to be aware of what your speaking voice conveys about you. Some suggest that standing during a phone interview can be helpful. Smiling while talking on the phone is recommended too. It's great that people can tell that you're smiling on the phone, but they can't tell that you have broccoli in your teeth.

No comments:

Post a Comment