Monday, August 3, 2009

Turn Right in 1.4 Miles

In this era of GPS units and web sites that chart out driving routes, I rarely have to ask for directions. Still, there's one thing I do miss in directions from those sources: landmarks. When a friend gives you directions, he or she is likely to include some restaurant or business names that will help you find your way. GPS units and Mapquest don't do that. Instead of telling you to drive past Best Buy and turn right at McDonald's, they'll tell you to stay on Whatever Road and turn right in 1.4 miles.

I have tried to zero in on landmarks online, but they tend to show only the large ones, like malls. That only helps so much. It's a lot more entertaining to watch for a specific building than to watch the odometer get to a certain number so you can get ready to make a turn.

2 comments:

  1. I refuse to do GPS, but I still swear by Mapquest, so it kind of amounts to the same thing, I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But wouldn't you prefer directions with Mexican restaurants and Italian restaurants sprinkled throughout?

    ReplyDelete