Friday, August 7, 2009

A Phrase I'd Like to Change

I hate the phrase "Plain Jane."

A bagel bakery I frequented years ago had clever names for its bagel varieties. My only complaint about the place was that they used that awful phrase to describe the bagel that could have been called the "No Frills, Great Just as It Is" bagel.

I wonder if other people get upset about their names being used in similar phrases. I could deal with "Even Steven" or "Steady Eddie," but I don't think I would like "Lazy Susan."

3 comments:

  1. Everything is relative, Jane. It could be a lot worse, like having my name, and hearing people say every few hours that they need to go to the john.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I thought about that too. Of course, there's also Jane Doe and John Doe to identify unknown people...or bodies. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That made me laugh. Never thought of that, and how we're kind of linked in that bizarre way.

    ReplyDelete