Sunday, August 16, 2009

Behind the Scenes

While this may look like a neat and tidy blog entry when everyone else reads it, it starts out a little rough before posting. Once I have my idea in mind, I start writing. Then I start changing things. I add a word here, and delete a word there. I've deleted whole sentences that sounded good at the time, but didn't work once the entire entry was written.

When I was a reporter, I'd often think of the lead paragraph while driving back from the meeting I had just covered. (I would delete this previous sentence because it doesn't fit what I want to get at, but I'll leave the sentence in for illustrative purposes.)

The point I want to get at is that I used to try to get the meat of the story down and then go back and refine it. It's sort of the same with this blog, only I don't have to check to make sure I typed in a quote correctly from my notes.

Now I'll go back and read through the post to see if there's anything else I would change. Then I'll use my internal spell checker and the Blogger spell checker, and I'm good to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment