Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Finding the Good in a Mundane Task

There's something satisfying about gazing across a freshly cut lawn when you've done the job yourself. Few chores provide that immediate sense of accomplishment. For a small investment of time and effort, you get a series of neat green rows that follow the contours of the land around your house.

Mowing is not a difficult job. (The secret's out, men.) Maneuvering the mower around obstacles is challenging sometimes, but it's not that bad. I haven't mowed down any trees or knocked out any utility lines. It's difficult to know where our property stops and the neighbor's begins, but if anything, I'm probably cutting more of the neighbor's grass rather than too little of my own. All in all, it's not a bad job. I'd take mowing over weeding any day.

2 comments:

  1. Feel free to come to my house and mow any time. Due to the rain and the grass friendly temps, my lawn, which should be brown and dormant right now, is lush and needs to be cut twice a week. Bring a rake.
    The mower (a rider) is fueled. See you tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, but I wouldn't want to deprive YOU of such a fulfilling experience.

    ReplyDelete