Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Annoying Words From Our Corporate Friends

Today, I was reading an interesting business article someone sent me. The story was lovely until I came across this word: relook. What? Is that a word? It was used in a quote, so I can't fault the writer. The guy who said it, on the other hand, should be slapped. Was it too much trouble to say, "look at it again?"

While I'm at it, I'm going to rant a bit more. I hate the word "deplane." It just sounds like something the airlines made up. Sadly, this word is in the dictionary. That doesn't mean I have to like it. I prefer "disembark."

Heaven help the English language if we all start randomly adding "re" and "de" to everything we want to do again or undo.

5 comments:

  1. Hah! Blogger's spell checker flagged "relook." I rest my case.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deplane? There's a word that reminds me of the old television show, Fantasy Island, when the little guy, Tattoo announces to his boss the arrival of their guest.
    Funny thing about people, though. We think that we are being creative when we make up new words. Do you remember the sniglet craze of the 80's?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, I meant guests. I can't leave a mistake uncorrected. (Yes, uncorrected is a word. I checked.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jane,
    Would you agree, though, that we ought to cut far more slack for spoken than written language? A lot of slang usage slips into conversation, which is one thing. I think the problem is when it seeps into written language. That's the real problem.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Linda, I appreciate your sense of humor!

    John, I do agree that we have to cut more slack for spoken language. However, once the slang gets into emails, it doesn't take long to make its way into other types of writing.

    ReplyDelete