Monday, July 20, 2009

Where Are the Missing Ounces?

Some producers of consumer goods are getting creative with their cost-cutting measures.

The facial tissue box is the same size, but the tissues inside are about an inch shorter. If you tilt the box from side to side, the stack of tissues slides back and forth from end to end.

An orange juice maker redesigned its container, which now sports shapely curves and a handy pouring spout. The container is smaller, which is probably the real reason for the redesign. That's right. New container, less juice.

The other day, I was surprised to see that the ice cream treat I unwrapped was smaller than the ones I had eaten in the past. I know my hands aren't getting bigger. The ice cream shrunk.

It's pretty clever, really. They keep the price the same, but give you less product. Did they think we wouldn't notice?

No comments:

Post a Comment