Thursday, July 30, 2009

I Can't Believe I Waited This Long to Write About Daryl Hall

Somehow, I've already mentioned a few singers here without naming my favorite first. It's Daryl Hall, the man with the best voice in the world, in my opinion. Nearly two years ago, Daryl Hall started doing free concerts online every month at www.livefromdarylshouse.com. (Yes, it hurts to leave the apostrophe out.) He brings in a different guest for each episode, resulting in a glorious mix of musical styles. They perform Hall and Oates' songs or Hall's solo songs, the guest artist's songs and covers of songs like "Ain't No Sunshine."

Young artists blend in with Daryl's talented collection of experienced musicians. Guests have included Finger 11, Company of Thieves, Chromeo and Matt Nathanson. I hadn't heard of any of them until they appeared on the show, but I liked Matt Nathanson so much that I bought his CD. If the comments on the site are any indication, that sort of thing happens a lot.

Daryl proves he can harmonize with anyone, especially with KT Tunstall. Rapper Travis McCoy, a seemingly unlikely guest for a pop legend to invite, adds his own flavor to his episode. The current episode's guests are from Plain White T's -- you know, the ones who recorded "Hey There Delilah." That song is the reason they were invited on the show, and the performance of it does not disappoint. As a bonus, viewers also get to hear the story behind the song, which is always fascinating to me.

Ever heard of Monte Montgomery? This nimble-fingered guitarist earned his spot on the show because Daryl saw him singing the Hall and Oates classic, "Sara Smile," on YouTube. He does a fabulous job with it too. Much to Monte's surprise, Daryl graciously let him sing lead on that one.

Online concerts may be the best use of the Internet yet.

4 comments:

  1. Awesome article, and I agree wholeheartedly. Daryl Hall has the best voice in Pop/rock music. LFDH is something I look forward to every month and I often discover newer artists via the show. Daryl can harmonize with anyone, even out sing many of his guests. I have also enjoyed rediscovering artist I have liked over the years like Nick Lowe, whose work from the 90's to current is some of my very favorite music. Thanks for your great blog!

    Best regards,

    Kim Osibin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comments. Nice to hear from another LFDH fan!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Sara Smile" is my favorite DH&JO ballad, in part because of my habit of falling for girls named Sara(h) during my youth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A fair number of girls were named for that timeless song.

    ReplyDelete