Friday, July 3, 2009

I hope we talk on Monday.

Networking is key in today's job market. Because of that, networking groups are sprouting up everywhere. One of the fun things about networking is meeting people I wouldn't have met otherwise and learning about other jobs and industries.

People from very diverse backgrounds gather at these meetings, and friendships develop easily over time. It reminds me of one of my favorite movies, "The Breakfast Club." Instead of a group of five stereotyped teenagers spending a Saturday together in detention, we are a mix of adults whose career paths were interrupted by the recession. We were thrown together because of circumstance, but we get to know each other while waiting for detention to end.

At one point in the movie, the teens discuss whether they will talk to each other at school on Monday. Coming from such different places on the school's social ladder, it's unlikely they will. My hope is that the friendships developing now among job seekers will continue when the seeking is over. I hope we talk on Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment