Tuesday, July 21, 2009

My High-Tech Washing Wonder

I must confess that I have an unnatural attachment to my washing machine.

It's one of those energy-saving, front-loading models that uses less water and electricity. Because it uses less water, it also fills quickly. During the wash cycle, it barely makes a sound other than a quiet "swish, swish." When it spins, it sounds like a jet plane taking off in the laundry room. It's amazing.

I like being able to select the water temperature, spin speed and soil level. Best of all, the machine has a dizzying array of choices for the type of laundry load: Normal, Bulky, Quick, Delicate, Hand Wash and more. Any machine that offers a Hand Wash cycle has won my affection.

I missed this marvelous machine while it was in storage. The built-in washer at the apartment just couldn't compare. The months of forced separation from my front-loader dragged on, but we were reunited a couple of months ago. Welcome back, my faithful partner in grime removal.

1 comment:

  1. My parents had a 10-speed blender, with each speed controlled by a separate button. Next to each speed button was a very descriptive name for the speed (e.g. "whip", "liquefy", "pulverize"), but the only difference was the speed the blades at the bottom (which were the only mixing implement) turned. My dad only used the top speed. It seemed to me the blender had unused potential.

    A clothes washer is a much more complex device though, so I can see the creativity in the names for the different kinds of washing it offers.

    ReplyDelete