Monday, July 13, 2009

Splitting Up The Daisies


Sometimes a project can seem overwhelming, like this patch of daisies. Each one demands your attention at the same time. Which one do you look at? Where do you start?


I've found success in these situations by breaking tasks into parts instead of trying to tackle the whole thing at once. This can apply to anything: a large work project, a complicated sentence or a household chore. It's easier to edit a few chapters of text to your satisfaction before moving on to the rest. If the construction of a sentence makes it hard to check subject/verb agreement, I mentally strip the sentence down to its bare essentials while I remain fully clothed. If housework seems daunting, I spread it out over a couple of days.


Some may argue that breaking tasks into parts is not the best way to approach them, but it works for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment