Saturday, October 3, 2009

Rejection Letters and the Rock Hall

I couldn't help smiling today when I saw two rejection letters from record companies to the now-famous band U2. Seeing those typed, impersonal letters made me feel a little better about the current job market and my own collection of emailed rejection letters.

I happened to spot the letters during a visit to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum in Cleveland. I ought to be boycotting the place because of its continual reluctance to recognize my favorite band of all time: Daryl Hall and John Oates.

While I don't know the nomination rules intricately, I believe this duo has met the qualifications for induction.
They've certainly had plenty of hits.
It's been at least 25 years since they began in the business.
They've influenced younger artists.
Did I mention that they've sold more records than any other pop duo in history?

They've made their mark on the music world by creating their own distinct sound. They fit nicely in the music continuum (Hall's term) between the Temptations (who were a heavy influence on H&O) and today's young musicians who credit H&O with influencing them. Most importantly, they are incredibly talented songwriters and performers. That in itself should be enough to qualify them for the recognition they deserve.

4 comments:

  1. WELL-SAID, Jane...I agree TOTALLY!!!
    Daryl & John DESERVE & BELONG to be in the RRHOF -- not to mention 'so much more-so than some of those who've already been inducted'!! We longtime fans should stick together & boycott the place until they "INDUCT OUR BOYS"!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jane, you nailed it! I think the RRHOF is not cool these days, certainly, pardon me , "out of touch", and really aren't relevant in music today. Our guys are finally being given the recognition they deserve by "FELLOW MUSICIANS", and SONGWRITERS".....accolades far more important than the RRHOF........

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hall & Oates in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame? I can go for that (can do)!

    ReplyDelete
  4. UPDATE: Rachael Ray is hosting an online petition to get Daryl Hall and John Oates into the Rock Hall. Check out the petition at http://blog.rachaelray.com/index.php/2009/10/20/hall-and-oats-has-my-vote/

    They will be on her show Nov. 6.

    ReplyDelete