Monday, October 12, 2009

Catching the Blog Bug

When I mention my blog to people at networking meetings or events, I am often asked how to start one. This is kind of amusing to me, since I haven't been at this very long. Believe me, I'm not an expert. I told another job seeker/aspiring blogger the other night that it's easy to start a blog. Keeping up with it is the hard part.

People start blogs for various reasons. Some use them as a way to keep family and friends informed about their lives or their kids. Job seekers want to share their expertise, whether it's in recruiting or marketing. I've seen blogs that display the blogger's own photos or drawings. Today, I found a blog that's written by an American chef who's working in Australia. He writes about what he eats, recipes included. The Blogger home page (www.blogger.com) has a little "Blogs of Note" section that features different blogs. That's how I found the chef's blog. You can find countless others by typing a topic of interest into a favorite search engine. (I'm resisting the popular practice of using Google as a verb.)

Deep down, I think people just want to get their thoughts out and be heard. And it's a lovely bonus when those thoughts make a connection with someone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment