Friday, October 9, 2009

Early Bird vs. Late Squirrel

The early bird may get the worm, but the late squirrel gets the seeds.

While I was eating lunch, I noticed quite a gathering of birds in the backyard. Since it's getting colder, I thought they might be having trouble finding food. I decided to throw a couple handfuls of bird seed outside after lunch. The previous homeowners had left an open bag of bird seed behind. What else am I going to do with it?

I was feeling pretty good about looking out for the birds. I even thought about the "Feed the Birds" song from Mary Poppins. Later, I took a break between tasks, glanced outside and saw a rotund squirrel grabbing all the seeds without a bird in sight. So much for feeding the birds.

This made me think about how job seekers have different strategies for searching. While I would expect that most of us do our best searching during the day, I know of at least one seeker who is a night owl on the computer. I guess he'd be the squirrel. Then again, maybe he's the early bird who finds the openings posted in the evening. The morning searchers wouldn't see those listings until hours later.

No comments:

Post a Comment