Friday, October 23, 2009

Blisters, Bug Guts and Bananas

I wonder if reference librarians are feeling bored and unloved these days. Does anyone call them anymore? If you're like me, you go online for answers to your questions.

After I got a blister on my hand from my first leaf-raking session of the season, I wanted to make sure that blister was my last. I went online and learned from some nice motocross racer with "sissy-boy hands" (his term) that you can prevent blisters by putting tape on the skin that's prone to blistering. I found some tape that was left over from adhering a large bandage to some long-forgotten injury. I stuck the tape on the skin that blistered last time. It worked beautifully. Thank you to the racer with the sissy-boy hands.

When ladybugs started showing up inside our old house, I went to the Internet for help. I learned that the simplest way to get rid of the little buggers was to vacuum them up. If you squish them, the article warned, they will stain whatever they are squished on. Not wanting to chance staining anything with ladybug guts, I fired up the vacuum and waved the wand attachment over those spotted creatures. Done!

This last odd bit of information I learned was not something I was trying to find. I stumbled on it, really. A friend of mine posted a video on Facebook about how to peel a banana like a monkey. Apparently, they are smarter than humans, because I tried their method and it sure beats the fruit out of the human way. All you do is pinch the bottom of the banana, pull it away, and peel from the bottom. Then you get a nice handle to hold too. Who says there's no useful information on Facebook?

I've only scratched the surface of the vast stores of knowledge available on the Internet. What will I learn next?

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the good info, Jane. I think I'll try the banana peeling method for breakfast this morning. We get the ladybugs, also, and I have used the vacuuming up trick as well. We leave our leaves until the Spring. There are so many that they just end up blowing back into the yard. I'll have to remember about the tape then.
    Did you know that you can search the Internet for various unique uses for the banana?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This gets my nod for best headline of the week, Jane. Nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Linda,
    I'm mildly curious about the other uses for a banana, but somewhat afraid to know.

    John,
    I hope the post delivered on the promise of the headline.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It did indeed. You have a good memory.

    ReplyDelete