Thursday, October 1, 2009

Muscle Memory

Since I've been off the ice for a while, I was wondering the other day if I would remember how to do some of the figure skating elements I learned. When I tried to do a couple of moves on the floor, muscle memory kicked in. My body knew what to do.

I think muscle memory works for the brain muscle as well. It can help you recall words in a foreign language or remember how to play a game you haven't played in a long time. Ever notice how quickly you're able to sing along to a song you haven't heard in years? I think that's muscle memory too. Once you're put into a familiar situation, the brain seems to know what to do.

1 comment:

  1. The "muscle memory" kicks in when I'm going to band practice every week, thinking that I've forgotten how to play the songs, but suddenly remembering them when everyone starts playing.

    ReplyDelete