Friday, November 27, 2009

Making Adjustments

Being back at work has been great, but I've had to make some adjustments. Since I was out of work for a while and was telecommuting before that, I've had to get back into the swing of actually going to an office. I'm growing accustomed to packing a lunch and driving to work.

I worked for my previous boss for so many years, I could make decisions in his absence because I knew how he wanted things to be done. I'm figuring out how people want things done at my new job. I am asking questions and trying to get clear direction.

At my last job, I was very comfortable with sharing my opinions and ideas with my boss. I already feel pretty comfortable with sharing my perspective at my new job. Nobody has shushed me yet. Maybe they're just too polite. Must pay closer attention to determine whether they want my viewpoint or are just being nice to me.

Getting acclimated reminds me of breaking in a new pair of skate boots, only nowhere near as painful; in time, discomfort and uncertainty give way to a perfect fit.

No comments:

Post a Comment