Sunday, November 15, 2009

Lessons From My Father

Six years ago today, I lost my dad. Here are some of the things he taught me.

1. Don't quit.
When I had a tough time at my first job after college, he and my mom encouraged me to keep going. I'm glad they did. Later, when my dad was fighting for his life, he tried everything the doctors had to offer until there was nothing left to try.

2. Keep your sense of humor.
When we were eating pizza and noticed a thin strand of something that looked like either cheese or hair, my father, bald from chemo, said, "It's not mine." I still chuckle at that.

3. Things will look better in the morning.
I have reminded myself of this many times. Most of the time, it's true.

Thanks for the lessons, Dad. I miss you.

5 comments:

  1. I miss my Dad, too. Dad's have a special place in a daughter's heart even when they are gone. Thankfully, there will be a glorious reunion for those who know the way to heaven. Blessings to you and your family and thanks so much for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could have met your father, who would have been my father-in-law. I know he was a good man.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing your lessons and for the reminder to keep a sense of humor. May your dad's memory be for a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful stuff, and quite a legacy for you, enduring lessons that still echo in your thoughts. No dad could hope for better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks to all of you for the kind comments.

    ReplyDelete