Sunday, November 22, 2009

A Different Take on a Classic

Last night, I went to a local production of The Sound of Music. I enjoyed it, but my friends and I were surprised that some things in the stage version were different from the musical we knew so well.

On stage, Maria was singing about her favorite things while at the abbey. In the movie, that famous song is sung in her bedroom at the Von Trapp home during a thunderstorm. That scene on stage featured the silly song that's part of a puppet show in the movie. And there was no puppet show in the stage version.

The other thing I noticed was that the stage version left out one of my favorite scenes from the movie. I always get a kick out of it when the nuns, car parts in hand, confess that they have sabotaged the Germans' vehicles to give the Von Trapps more time to escape into the mountains.

No comments:

Post a Comment