Monday, November 2, 2009

Apples Rule in the Fall

The produce spotlight shines on apples in the fall, when this modest, everyday fruit becomes the star attraction among other fruits and vegetables.

Johnny Appleseed stories and the "American as apple pie" saying make this fruit part of our nation's heritage, but sometimes I think we don't fully appreciate apples. That's why it's nice to give them renewed attention at this time of year.

I confess that I like the names of the apple varieties: Gala, Red Delicious, Rome, Fuji, Granny Smith and more. A quick look online shows that there are many more varieties of apples than I'll ever taste. Blushing Gold sounds like an intriguing name to me. I would try that variety based on the name alone.

While I enjoy apple pie, applesauce and apple cider, my favorite way to eat an apple is to cut it into pieces and spread peanut butter on each slice. The taste reminds me of a caramel apple, only a bit healthier.

3 comments:

  1. Yum! Now I know what I'm having for lunch today. There is certainly more to apples than meets the eyes with the their beauty and the ears with their clever variety names and, of course, that scrumptious sounding crunch. There is great merit to the saying, "An apple a day keeps the doctor away", as well. Here is a link to learn more about the health benefits of these Autumn stars. http://www.realage.com/tips/the-greatest-thing-about-apples

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes - apple with p'nut butter gets my vote! My favorite is a Mac! They make a great applesauce, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments, ladies! And thanks for the link, Linda.

    ReplyDelete