Friday, September 25, 2009

Word Games

If you have a last name that doesn't look the way it sounds, you've probably had to spell it out over the phone. When I do this, I usually include "s like Sam" to make sure the listener doesn't mistake it for an "f."

I have gotten into the habit of using the same words for "s" and "v": Sam and Victor. Just to make things interesting, I should come up with a few crazy words to see if I can crack up the person on the other end of the phone. Superman and Veronica? Spaghetti and volcano? Hmmm. Maybe I'll try that one.

A poetry teacher once led a creative exercise that challenged us to use words to represent letters. I still remember her example: naughty xylophones.

If you have used any funny, interesting or unusual words to spell out your name, please post them in a comment.

2 comments:

  1. I'm with you on this, Jane, being I used to have the same last name as you. Because "v" would often be mistaken for "b", I used to say "v" as in Venezuela. There would be no question then. Well, except for the name pronunciation. That was always fun, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Venezuela! I hadn't thought of that one.

    ReplyDelete