Tuesday, September 29, 2009

An Email Title That Gets My Attention

As a card-carrying member of several employment networking groups, I get a steady stream of emails that contain job leads. Every now and then, among the listings for every job imaginable outside of my field, I see emails with this title: "Success Story." I read every one.

I'm happy for the people who have found work, and I find hope in the fact that somebody is getting hired. Being somewhat analytical (ok, very analytical), I always mine the success stories for nuggets of wisdom. How did they find the job? Did they answer an ad or did they find the position through networking? From what I can gather, people are finding jobs through all sorts of avenues -- ads, networking and even applying to work for Uncle Sam. That just means job seekers should pursue multiple paths to employment. Some paths feel more productive than others, but you never know which one will lead you to the right job.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad I found your blog, and see that you're tackling the subject of job hunting, which has certainly been on my mind. I too find that there's no one way of finding a job, some I've found through newspaper or internet ads, others just because I happened upon the right people at the right time.

    ReplyDelete