Friday, September 18, 2009

How Many Writers Does it Take to Change a Light Bulb?

I had to replace three spent light bulbs the other day. These are the latest in a series of bulbs that appear to have been expertly timed to expire just months after we took ownership of the house.

I do believe that there is nothing that gives such immediate satisfaction for so little effort and so little time as changing a light bulb. I guess that's why there are so many jokes about how many people it takes to complete this simple task.

I was amused when I read the note on the back of the little halogen light bulb package. It said, "Do not touch lamp." OK, do you mean the bulb or the lamp it's going into? Be specific! And if I'm not supposed to touch the bulb, how am I supposed to get it into the puck light under the cabinet? Levitation? And why am I not supposed to touch the bulb? Will it deform my hand and leave me unable to type with both hands? I am not about to compromise my typing speed for the sake of a little bulb!

I thought for a minute and realized that what they meant was to avoid transferring oil from my skin onto the bulb. I stuck my hand into a plastic sandwich bag, grabbed the bulb and put it into the puck light.

I guess it takes only one writer to change a light bulb, but it will take her a bit longer than most people because she will dwell on how clearly the instructions are written on the bulb package.

2 comments:

  1. Loved this. Mark replaces light bulbs at the school just about every day. Once his mother called to have a light bulb replaced saying that she didn't think that she could do it. When he arrived at her home he found that she had already pulled the bathroom fixture out of the ceiling attempting the job herself. Thanks for the memories. :)

    ReplyDelete