Saturday, September 5, 2009

Don't Bet on Me in an Eating Contest

I've always been a slow eater and I can't explain why. Put me at a table with just about anyone and I'll usually finish last. Waitresses have tried to pull plates out from under me before I was finished. They've also asked about dessert when I'm barely halfway through dinner. In their defense, though, my husband's plate is usually nearly empty when they are asking.

Poor hubby has probably wasted hours of his life waiting for me to finish a meal. He grew up in a large family where eating slowly may have cost a person part of his portion. Dawdle too long and the sibling nearby might scoop up a few bites.

I've heard that it's a good thing to eat slowly because it gives your brain time to realize your stomach is full. I guess that's one advantage of eating slowly.

No comments:

Post a Comment