Sunday, January 3, 2010

An Alternate Route Detoured My Thoughts Too

When bad weather forced us to take an alternate way home today from a belated holiday gathering, we took the non-interstate route. While my steady-handed hubby drove, I looked out the window at my past. One of the counties we drove through was the place where I had worked for several years as a reporter. I could still remember the locations of the police stations, highway patrol buildings and other places I frequented on the job then.

We drove by my old apartment, where the kindly older man who managed the place told me one day that I should get new tires. I saw the farm market and bread store where I shopped. Of course, being young and single, I didn't have the best diet. I have to confess that on more than one occasion, I bought a McDonald's cheeseburger and ate it while driving to an evening meeting I had to cover.

The slow drive was a lot more interesting when I thought about all the places I used to go and what my life was like then. I guess that's the silver lining that came from the otherwise dreary detour.

No comments:

Post a Comment