Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Big-city Realities on the Way to Work

I'm really a small-town girl at heart, so my commute to the big city has been a bit of an eye-opener for me. I lock my doors before passing through an area that makes me uneasy. I rejoiced when I spied a police station in that area.

The other day, I had to switch lanes because someone was avoiding the snowy sidewalk by walking in the traffic lane. This person was pushing a shopping cart that I would guess contained his or her belongings.

I drive by a business that has a dog patrolling the building after hours. One day, I felt sorry for the dog when it was left out in the pouring rain without any shelter.

But I feel much worse for the unwanted babies whose lives are snuffed out at a building I pass on the way to work. Pro-life protesters outside drew my attention to what happens at that address. I am struck by how many people I know who've tried to have babies. If someone dropped a baby off at any of their doorsteps, those couples would surely accept that baby as their own. And yet there are those who just throw their babies away.

5 comments:

  1. Wow Jane, it is wonderful to see you write about such an important topic. It is so sad that so many don't see the grafity of their actions. God bless you for your boldness in speaking out against this atrocity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My five-year-old niece Emma comes to mind here. She was Ohio's first Safe Harbor baby, under a new law that permitted leaving unwanted infants at hospitals or other locations with no questions asked. Her mother thinks she's a miracle, and I'd have to agree.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just had to correct my spelling. I meant gravity, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Linda,
    Thanks for your supportive comment. I love that you corrected your own spelling.

    ReplyDelete