Monday, January 18, 2010

How Am I Doing?

Every retailer seems to be begging consumers to take surveys lately. "Let us know how we are doing," says the receipt. Usually, the promise of a chance at winning something follows the survey request.

It occurred to me the other day that employees are a lot like these stores that want to know how they are doing. Every human being, regardless of company, title or salary level, wants to know that he or she is doing a good job. For some reason, it's easy to forget to tell people that they are doing well.

In this economy, when many companies aren't in a position to give out raises, I think it would be a nice morale boost for lots of employees if their bosses gave them a quick, "Good job."

3 comments:

  1. Hi Jane;
    I just wanted to say "Good job" on your blog. I really do enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This reminds me that NYC mayor Ed Koch used to go around all day asking voters "how am I doing?" It seemed to work for him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Linda.

    John, sometimes asking the question is the only way to know. It works.

    ReplyDelete